Reports to: Foreman Range of Pay:$20 - $24/hr
Summary:Under the supervision of the Foreman, the working Lead Hand is second in command on the job site while assisting the Foreman to accomplish the given tasks in a safe and most efficient manner. Projects include planting, grading, Interlock paving, Retaining wall, Water feature, Masonry work, Concrete work, Wood work (Fence and Deck). Providing updates on the progress and the evolving needs of the construction site.Encouraging, teaching and leading crew members to have safe working procedures. Performing other manual jobs that required as well as operating small machines and hand tools to complete the tasks.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Wears provided clean company uniform and PPE (Protective Personal Equipment). This includes green patch steel toed boots.
- Follows and understands our Policy.
- Instructs and trains employees in safe work practices of construction equipment, tools and job techniques.
- Responsible for site safety as well as identifying hazards and eliminates threats for staff, the public and others.
- Informs the Foreman of any personal injury or damage to property.
- Reports and investigates all injuries or damage to properties and machines. This includes all hazards and near misses.
- Ensures daily maintenance is carried out for all equipment on site.
- Works together with the Foreman to communicate any changes or concerns to the job. Inform the Foreman immediately of any deficiencies which include mistakes, errors, contamination, or damages (property or equipment etc.) Continually working towards preventing deficiencies.
- Informs the Foreman of supplies needed as soon as possible.
- Keeps an accurate inventory of regularly used working tools/supplies.
- Oversees the crew to confirm that the direction given is being followed. Continuously monitors all works against job specifications to ensure the quality and accuracy of the work performed.
- Motivating, coaching, teaching and encouragement to the team.
- Evaluates workers performance and provides periodic feedback to individuals based on their job descriptions/responsibilities.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Tours the site regularly and help the team keep a clean and organized job site. This includes having tools accounted for and in working condition. Before leaving the site everyday make sure there is nothing left behind!
- Constantly works toward eliminating deficiencies.
Qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in landscaping field.
- Familiar with Construction techniques and be able to demonstrate some.
- Working knowledge of the hand tools such as quick cut, and different saws.
- Capability of following directions and completing given tasks from supervisors
- Demonstrate the ability to self-motivate and posse the skills to work on your own productively.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s license.
- Contribute in a team atmosphere with a positive attitude and create a working climate, with an emphasis on health and safety.
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Ability to relate well with co-workers, supervisors, other employees, client groups and the general public while providing leadership and work direction to subordinates.
- Required to work under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer or public queries.
- Required to take on multiple deadlines and responsibilities with frequent interruptions while remaining focused.
- Constantly thinking ahead and planning while leading and working along with crew members.
- Ability to lift heavy objects and be in physical fit condition.
- Constantly bending, pulling and lifting, shoveling, raking, planting and working with hand tools for long periods of time in a repetitive motion.
- Moves material around job site by hand or small machines over rough construction surfaces. This includes a lot of walking and standing for long periods of time.
- Work outdoors in different weather conditions – ex. sun, rain, dust, snow and cold.
- Works from 7am-5pm Monday to Friday and some Saturdays.
- Focus and attention must be given to the machines and other equipment around on the job site. It is a very noisy environment.
Type of supervision receive:
- Reports to supervisor. Assignment is periodically checked for progress and quality control by immediate supervisor.
Type of supervision given:
- Supervise and give direction to onsite staff.